Here’s your chance to share your baby boomer stories and photos on BoomerCafé.
The two most important things are these:
First, to be published in BoomerCafé, your piece must be told as a narrative, a story — the way you might tell it to a friend across the dinner table — and be baby boomer-centric. We aren’t about “seniors,” or “middle age;” BoomerCafé is only for, and about, baby boomers with active lifestyles and youthful spirits.
Second, to even be considered by BoomerCafé, you must submit a finished product. If you simply contact us to propose something, or send us a list of several pieces you think might be a good fit, we will ignore it. You make the choice, you write the story, then and only then we will take a look.
Please note: Stories will be held until we receive related images that comply to our guidelines for quality (see below).
Here are the guidelines every writer must use; please read them to the bottom before you send something, for your sake and ours:
Content and Format:
- BoomerCafé’s content focuses exclusively on baby boomers, which means those of us born between 1946 and 1964. Your story must be relevant exclusively to that audience.
- The way to make every piece genuinely interesting for the boomer audience is to keep it as non-commercial and non-promotional as possible. If the story is interesting and dynamic, it will sell itself!
- Please limit it to NO LONGER THAN abut 400 words.
- Submit it single-spaced (not double-spaced) and do not indent the beginning of new paragraphs. But for visual comfort, SEPARATE PARAGRAPHS with an empty line.
- This is critical: SPELLCHECK and PROOFREAD the final version BEFORE sending it.
- When you send your story, cut and paste it into the body of the email. Do NOT send as an attachment.
- Include a note to us about where you live — city, state, and/or country — since we often mention that in the intro.
- DON’T BOTHER SENDING PRESS RELEASES. If you are a PR rep and can’t send anything more imaginative than that, don’t send anything at all.
- Your story should go to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org (Do not send photos to this email address.)
Photos and other images
- You can easily enhance photo quality with a easy-to-use and free app, Snapseed. Available for Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Android.
- Good photos enhance story appeal and attract readers.
- We need a good photo of you plus two or three other relevant images for your story.
- Send photos separately from your story. Photo email is email@example.com.
- Horizontal photos, sometimes known as landscape format, only, please.
- Smartphones take great photos, especially when held horizontally.
- Please send only large, original photos.
- How do you identify photo size? Easy. On a Mac, Command +I to display photo details. On a PC, right click and select File Properties.
- We can only accept copyright-free images.
- Here’s an example of an engaging photo:
Other things you need to know
- For a book excerpt, we require one that can stand alone as an interesting piece, without requiring the reader to understand what precedes or follows it in the longer context of the book. If the book’s for sale on Amazon, give us that link.
- BoomerCafé reserves the right to edit any submission for language, clarity, grammar, length, appropriate content, demographic appeal, and anything else that improves it in the opinion of BoomerCafé’s editors. This applies also to material labeled as copywritten. If it is submitted to BoomerCafé, we reserve the right to change it.
- As for monetary compensation — and this always can be a “deal-breaker” — BoomerCafé is a labor of love, whose purpose is to provide an interesting, entertaining, and informative online home for baby boomers. As such, we do not pay for content. Your reward is positive exposure, but there is no guarantee.
- By inviting a submission, we make no promise of inclusion in BoomerCafé, and we make no promise about when or for what duration any submission might be posted.
Please send any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please!
Thanks very much!
, Executive Editor