Is Facebook the new Big Brother? Baby boomer Wayne Merry of Stokesdale, North Carolina, thinks so, and that’s a bit ironic since Wayne’s business is about people with stories to tell. But Wayne thinks that Facebook carries things too far.
Okay, it is a well-known fact that a lot of the Boomer generation are on Facebook today. It is also a fact that this type of social media has people upset and thinking of reducing or jumping off of it, just like many in the younger generation have already done.
So, I have decided to list 10 reasons why Facebookers are getting fed-up with FB. I will start at the least and move toward the most disliked elements.
- Being asked to be a friend of a friend of a friend that you met at a football game for 3 minutes in 1957! WHAT? Or even worse … never met! So, you “Liked” them and found out the following: (a) They are very crazy (b) Mad at the world (c) On too many prescription drugs. Suggestion … go “Like” rehab sites and read about them.
- Invites to play games. Dude I don’t play games! I work, sleep, and try to reduce my frustration as much as possible!
- Tired of seeing the following: a) Your last lunch intake; b) Your family information and pics all the time; c) Offensive postings; d) Cryptic postings that make you think … looks like their power was just cut off? lol!
- Stupidity of FBers telling everyone that they will not be at home for 2 weeks and posting many pictures of the home (with the address visible). Advice… see Craig’s List for your stolen property on Week 3 when you return.
- Tired of the same old same old noise! The same posting and same jokes on and on and on.
- Cannot take the ranting of FBers and the ones who have designated them to the Facebook police security enforcers.
- 7. Crazy feed algorithms invented by Facebook. This refers to the “did you see my pictures and post of the wedding?”… NO … what wedding?! And, Lord help you if you want to find it again to repost! Try the magic black hole of where your left sock goes in the drier.
- 8. Befriends that turn into to DEFRIENDS and then their attaches.
- Spammed ads. FB is tracking you like a hound dog. I get popup questionnaires on my location and other personal things. “Hello Hal”… lol.
- INVASION OF PRIVACY! This is the number one complaint by most users.
Now, I also must add that Facebook reunites friends and family and has actually solved crimes so, it comes down to how you use it …. just like your words!
So friends … please think before you post and consider other more private opportunities that are online, and remember, sometimes a phone call and hearing someone’s voice is still a good feeling. i.e.: Google “phone call” if you don’t remember any more how to do this!
Please check in on Wayne’s digital endeavor – Life Book.