Here’s your chance to share your baby boomer stories and photos on BoomerCafé.
The most important thing is this: to be published in BoomerCafé, your piece must be told as a narrative, a story — the way you might tell it to a friend across the dinner table — and be baby boomer-centric. We aren’t about “seniors,” or “middle age;” BoomerCafé is only for, and about, baby boomers with active lifestyles and youthful spirits.
Here are the guidelines every writer must use; please read them to the bottom before you send something, for your sake and ours:
Content and Format:
- BoomerCafé’s content focuses exclusively on baby boomers, which means those of us born between 1946 and 1964. Your story must be relevant exclusively to that audience.
- The way to make every piece genuinely interesting for the boomer audience is to keep it as non-commercial and non-promotional as possible. If the story is interesting and dynamic, it will sell itself!
- Please limit it to NO LONGER THAN 500 words… max!
- Submit it single-spaced (not double-spaced) and do not indent the beginning of new paragraphs. But for visual comfort, SEPARATE PARAGRAPHS with an empty line.
- This is critical: SPELLCHECK and PROOFREAD the final version BEFORE sending it.
- When you send your story, cut and paste it into the body of the email. Do NOT send as an attachment.
- Include a note to us about where you live— city, state, and/or country— since we often mention that in the intro.
- DON’T BOTHER SENDING PRESS RELEASES. If you are a PR rep and can’t send anything more imaginative than that, don’t send anything at all.
- Your story should go to the following address: email@example.com
Photos and other images
- Great quality photos, appealing images are very important at BoomerCafé.com. One thing we require is a photo of you, a head shot, ideally in a horizontal (aka “landscape”) rather than vertical format and — this is very important — in an environment that is relevant to your story. (You might find this brief article to be helpful: http://www.boomercafe.com/baby-boomer/3-easy-steps-to-photos-that-endure-time/ )
- We won’t run photos if they aren’t high-quality, high-resolution, and of course, in focus. That means a minimum size of 500kb per photo (but no bigger than 2mb). Mugshots and “selfies” (self-taken snapshots, usually from a smartphone) will be rejected.
- If you don’t have any other kind of photo or artwork relevant to your piece, look for something on the internet that is not under a copyright; that’s the only way the story will land in our feature window on the home page.
- Once we’ve told you we will run your story, email your photos/images to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We accept only copyright-free photos. If you want to check the copyright status of an image in question, visit TinEye.com.
- Here’s an example … a guide … to the kind of photos we need. You will see that it’s not cropped too closely and it is a large image. Heck, even iPhones take superb photos, and the image files are a robust 2MB! Just hold an iPhone or smartphone horizontally and snap away. What we like in this photo below is that it captures the spirit of a person:
Okay, now here’s a tiny thumbnail of the same image. Which do you find more appealing?
Other things you need to know
- For a book excerpt, we require one that can stand alone as an interesting piece, without requiring the reader to understand what precedes or follows it in the longer context of the book. If the book’s for sale on Amazon, give us that link.
- BoomerCafé reserves the right to edit any submission for language, clarity, grammar, length, appropriate content, demographic appeal, and anything else that improves it in the opinion of BoomerCafé’s editors. This applies also to material labeled as copywritten. If it is submitted to BoomerCafé, we reserve the right to change it.
- As for monetary compensation — and this always can be a “deal-breaker” — BoomerCafé is a labor of love, whose purpose is to provide an interesting, entertaining, and informative online home for baby boomers. As such, we do not pay for content. Your reward is positive exposure, but there is no guarantee.
- By inviting a submission, we make no promise of inclusion in BoomerCafé, and we make no promise about when or for what duration any submission might be posted.
Please send any questions to email@example.com. No phone calls, please!
Thanks very much!
, Executive Editor